Are you searching for your first job fresh from uni? Are you stuck in a career rut? It can be difficult to figure out how you can get where you want to be career-wise. That’s why we’ve got some top tips on how to develop your career and get on the right path for you.
Use Your CV to Secure an Interview
Composing a great CV is vital to furthering your career – there’s likely to be hundreds of applicants for a job, all of whom are as qualified as you are. This is where your CV set you apart from others and increase your chances of securing an interview.
In fact, a CV has been described as “the single most important part of getting a job” by recruitment consultants – yet school leavers and graduates may not have been taught about how to write a CV. Here are a few tips to start off with:
- The common sections to include are: personal and contact information, relevant skills, qualifications and education, work history or experience, achievements, interests, and references (which can be work-related or educational).
- Make sure the layout is structured and clearly presented.
- Stick to two pages of A4 – you need to be concise so these guidelines will help you to refrain from waffling.
- Tailor your CV to the role you’re applying for. A potential employer will be hoping for you to have certain skills for the job, so you should focus on those.
Most importantly, keep your CV up-to-date. Review it regularly and add any skills or experience onto it – if you’ve done any volunteering, started a new project, or completed some training.
Developing Your Skills
You should be committed to personal development and this will look good to potential employers as they will know that you’re keen to learn new skills.
Take a look at what online courses you can enrol on to help you enhance your skills, ready for a new job. There are plenty of courses available, such as those by Global Knowledge, so pick one that you feel will complement the career that you hope to pursue. For example, those who want a career in IT may want to look at an IT service management course.
Networking is the best way to make lasting connections that may help you to further your career and sell yourself. It can help you build up your contacts in a particular industry and form relationships with them – so if you encounter them again in a professional situation, they will remember you or perhaps even recommend you for any job vacancies they know of. Some jobs may not be advertised, so networking is vital to helping open doors in the future.
Follow our three top tips to help you get the best out of your career. Whether you’re searching for your first job or hoping for a career change, you can be proactive about developing your career.
- Making affiliate a business - September 23, 2020
- 3 Things to Consider When Creating a Social Media Strategy for an Amazon Store - September 15, 2020
- What Does It Take to Launch A Highly Successful Small Business? - September 14, 2020